Saturday 29 November 2008

me and my shrink

Me and my shrink

‘Are you still walking around carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders?’ asks he, the shrink, as into the sofa she sinks!

‘You betchya I am!’ says she as she sighs with a tell tale tear in her eye

‘...you figured it out yet?’

‘Only a little bit’

‘What do you know thus far?’

‘How mere mortals only see thus far beyond…’

‘and?’

‘and… better not gamble based on human foresight’

He nods

‘Is that right? Whys that?’ asks he

‘Could be rainbows or dust or rain, who knows? It could be showers of gold and gain or cold moments of pain!’

Silence

‘Do you need a glass of water?’ asks he

‘Brandy?’ she asks half smiling

‘No, sorry’

‘Don’t be’ she replied

‘I’m not’

‘You just said….’

‘I know what I said…’ he snaps

Silence

‘and if you knew then what you know now?’ he asks

‘then I would have done things differently’

‘Why?’

‘Because life makes sure it’s impossible to base a whole relationship on love. Yet by the same insane token, if you base it on anything but love - geographical convenience, financial status, compatibility, compromise, age, potential – reasonable and sane as these are, they will never guarantee that you live happily ever after’ she said factually

‘So choose love? Pray tell, is that what you say?’ he asks

‘Actually, I say if I may, how life is so unfair’

‘Why unfair? You dared and life treated you fair and square, so there!’

‘No’ says she

‘No?’ he asks

‘No, because love is the very foundation upon which a relationship is built, but like cement, love is a binder, a substance which hardens and seals. There are other requirements if it’s to work’.

‘So choose the other requirements above love?’

‘Can’t be one or the other. You need love; otherwise one unlucky person is in a relationship alone’

‘So you need love and its garnishes!’

Silence. She nods. More silence.

‘Is that why you chose him over me?’

Silence

‘Presented with the same dilemma today, who would you choose?’

‘You can’t ask me that’

‘Why not?’

‘Life has moved on’.

Silence. The bridge between them closes and in that moment unfolds the most genuine kiss that ever was. It was demanding, it was urgent, it was hurtful, it was forgiving, it was intentional, it was begging, it was seeking, it found! It found the truth!

‘When eyes met eyes, soul met soul’ she said. He nods!

‘Yes soul mate!’

‘and outside sits an oblivious soul tie!’ says she staring thoughtfully at the door.

‘He’s my brother’

I didn’t know that then!’ She was defensive

Silence

He shrugs

‘What now? Create our destiny or go with fate?’ she asks

‘It’s too late’

She nods.

‘I’m sorry’ said he

‘Don’t be. Life happened!

‘For fear or fury or fall babe, this is our last session – conflict of interest on so many different levels’

They both nod. They both smile. They both sigh. They both cry.

‘Learn anything?’ she asks

‘In love there are no guarantees’

‘I thought you were the shrink and I, the patient? You should be healing me, not I, you’.

‘In games of the heart, who is to say who plays whose role? Inconsequential so and so or leading role in one’s life scroll. Who knows?’

‘So when eye met eye and soul met soul and promised eternity and a day, what exactly did soul say? Did eye lie?’

‘Eyes don’t lie, do they?’

Silence. The gap closes between them and this time eyes just meet with intense scrutiny. Though there was no kissing, the world paused to acknowledge an intense moment!

‘I love you!’

‘I love you too…’

And they chorused a heartbreaking final…. ‘goodbye’…

3 comments:

ty x said...

LOVE this one!!!

CaramelD said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh deep!

Erm what have you done to get content warning from Google so early???? LOL

Sally said...

@caramel, i dont know. lol. but i will certainly give them a reason to put content warning soon... you know me :-)

@ty x, sure you do. lol. i know...